- G.A.P.S. Rugby Union contains 250 Games, Activities, Practices & Skills covering: Running & Movement; Passing & Handling; Continuity & Support; Defence; Rucking; Mauling; Lineout; Scrummage; Kicking & FUNdamentals.
- G.A.P.S. resources support the effective teaching and coaching of games and are based upon a ‘Making sense of Games’ approach to coaching, providing Games as starting points. These are supported by a range of related Activities, with specific Practices to support key elements of successful game play (e.g. Kicking), and focused Skills exercises for the development of individual technique (e.g. drop goals). G.A.P.S. Rugby Union provides teachers and coaches with 250 G.A.P.S. in animated format.
- The Activity Selector provides access to the content via 10 sub categories that cover the key elements of the game. Selecting one category (e.g. Passing & Handling) will load the relevant G.A.P.S. as thumbnails in the index. A search can be narrowed by filtering the index by Games, Activities, Practices or Skills.
- A selected Game, Activity, Practice or Skill reveals an Information Panel. From here Overview, Organisation, Technique, Adaptation & Variation and Resources & Equipment can be viewed.
- Selected G.A.P.S. can be played in large format with the Interactive Animation Player which uses an innovative Slider™ to play and control the animations.
- You can also use the selected G.A.P.S. to create a Session. These sessions can be saved for future reference or printed. Individual G.A.P.S. with supporting text can also be printed.
G.A.P.S. Rugby Union Covers:
Running & Movement
- Includes practices to develop running with the ball, straight line running, evasion, awareness, change of pace, running as a unit (forwards and backs), and counter attack.
Passing & Handling
- Includes practices to develop basic passing and catching, peripheral vision in handling, speed and accuracy, passing variations, handling in close support, and handling in opposed situations.
Continuity & Support
- Includes practices to develop awareness in support, support running lines, supporting the pass, supporting a catcher, supporting a player on the ground, support in contact, support for continuity, simple patterns for continuity, continuity between forwards and backs and between phases, and continuity in competitive situations.
- Includes practices to develop tackling skills, contact with the ball, support skills in contact, communication after contact, and dynamic driving skills.
- Includes practices to develop ‘step’, ‘wide-base’, ‘cut’ and ‘drive’ techniques, dynamic rucking, unit rucking and rucking in offence and defence.
- Includes practices to develop simple ‘rip & roll’, ‘stripping’ from opponents, building a driving maul, dynamic driving mauls, and mauling in offence and defence.
- Includes practices to develop the throw, jumping and catching, support and reaction skills, movement from the line-out, front and back peels, and movement skills for jumpers.
- Includes practices to develop basic body positions in the scrummage, the put-in and strike, channelling, disengagement, control at eight, support from the backrow, and support following offensive and defensive scrummages.
- Includes practices to develop the basic ‘punt’, ‘drop’, ‘chip’ and ‘place’ kicks, accuracy and power, ‘line’ and ‘box’ kicking, receiving kicks, restarts, and kicking under pressure.
- Practices, fun activities and modified or conditioned games are included which reinforce the key skills covered elsewhere on the resource. The activities in this section can be adapted to suit all age and ability levels.