- G.A.P.S. Basketball contains 250 Games, Activities, Practices & Skills covering: Passing; Dribbling; Rebounding; Shooting; Ball Handling; Transition; Individual Skills; Offensive Movement; Defence & FUNdamental Games.
- G.A.P.S. resources support the effective teaching and coaching of games and are based upon a ‘Learning through Games’ approach to coaching, providing Games as starting points. These are supported by a range of related Activities, with specific Practices to support key elements of successful game play (e.g. Ball Handling), and focused Skills exercises for the development of individual technique (e.g. the round the back crossover). G.A.P.S. Basketball provides teachers and coaches with 250 G.A.P.S. in animated format.
- The Activity Selector provides access to the content via 10 sub categories that cover the key elements of the game. Selecting one category (e.g. Shooting) will load the relevant G.A.P.S. as thumbnails in the index. A search can be narrowed by filtering the index by Games, Activities, Practices or Skills.
- A selected Game, Activity, Practice or Skill reveals an Information Panel. From here Overview, Organisation, Technique, Adaptation & Variation and Resources & Equipment can be viewed.
- G.A.P.S. can be played in large format with the Interactive Animation Player which uses an innovative Slider™ to play and control the animations (see below for an example of an animation with the Slider controls).
- Use the selected G.A.P.S. to create a Session. These sessions can be saved for future reference or printed. Individual G.A.P.S. with supporting text can also be printed.
G.A.P.S. Basketball Covers:
- Practices cover chest, bounce, overhead, javelin and flip passes. Fakes, movement and speed passing are included, together with practices for running the clock. Passing in offence is an important element: Activities for full court and in and around the key are included, together with modified games.
- Practices involve shuttles, pressure dribbling and control in a variety of situations. Dribbling with left and right hand is reinforced, together with practices for driving at the basket. Activities for dribbling in offence are include as are games and activities for the application of essential dribbling skills.
- Practices for defence and offence are included, together with activities to develop tipping, checking and block out skills. Activities to develop rebounding from free throws are illustrated, as well as team activities and other competitive practices.
- Activities cover set, jump, hook and lay-up shots. Shooting with left and right hand is reinforced, together with practices for driving at the basket. Shooting in the context of screens, fakes, pivots and cuts are included. Practices are developed through unopposed and opposed situations.
- Practices for ball control, including passing and receiving, defending the ball, and close control are included. Control in the context of screens, picks and posts are included. Practices are developed through unopposed and opposed situations.
- Practices for transition include defence to offence, offence to defence, using the lanes, fast breaks and drives. Also included are practices and activities for developing attack, and breaking following a steal.
- A variety of practices include one on one, pivots and turns, screens, drives, cuts and fades, and guarding. Additionally practices are combined to reinforce the key skills of footwork and handling and include dribbling, passing and receiving and shooting; progression is encouraged through unopposed and opposed situations.
- A range of offensive movement activities are covered, including give and go, screens, pivots, cuts and posts. Practices, which are both opposed and unopposed, also include movement against both one-on-one and zone defence.
- Practices cover individual defence, over-guarding, defending screens, and defending numbers down.Activities for defending one-on-one and in different zone formations are included. Additionally, practices for defending with a team-mates (e.g. in twos or threes), and for recovering when an attack breaks down, are also included.
- Practices, fun activities and modified or conditioned games are included which reinforce the key skills covered elsewhere on the resource. The activities in this section can be adapted to suit all age and ability levels.